You are responsible for writing at least one thoughtful blog post analyzing a recent (past month) news article covering Latin American history, environment, or culture, and placing the topic in historical perspective. Sign up for your date here.
For your “Latin America in the News” post, compose a thoughtful entry which summarizes the news story (2-3 paragraphs), considers how Latin America is portrayed in the media coverage (1 paragraph), and analyzes the event in the context of our class themes and a scholarly reading (another 1-2 paragraphs). The style of these blog posts may be less formal than the style you would use in an academic paper, but you must keep your remarks focused and persuasive. This means quoting or paraphrasing the text (no long quotes) and citing your source using in-text annotation. You must take advantage of the digital format by incorporating outside images, links, or video clips that relate to your argument. Link to the article or video clip you’re discussing. Tag your post LA News
You must post your complete entry by noon the day before your chosen due date. This is important to give seminar members time to read your post before class. Do not repeat a story someone else has already analyzed.
I’ll ask you to quickly present your findings at the beginning of class. Keep it clear and focused (about 3 minutes, plus Q&A).
List of class meeting days and student responsible for the blog post:
- Monday, August 26: Joseph K.
- Wednesday, August 28: Tristan
- Friday, August 30: Tabitha
- Monday, September 2: Bree
- Wednesday, September 4: Kate
- Friday, September 6: Mia S.
- Monday, September 9: Dani
- Wednesday, September 11: Eliott
- Friday, September 13: Rita
- Monday, September 16: Max
- Wednesday, September 18: Gio
- Friday, September 20: Spencer
- Monday, September 23: Alex D.
- Wednesday, September 25: Andy
- Friday, September 27: Elena
- Monday, September 30: Shane
- Wednesday, October 2: Midterm #1
- Friday, October 4: Alex H.
- Monday, October 14:
- Wednesday, October 16: Morgan
- Friday, October 18: Sam
- Monday, October 21: Matthew
- Wednesday, October 23:
- Friday, October 25: Rodriko
- Monday, October 28: Gabby
- Wednesday, October 30: Mia E.
- Friday, November 1:
- Monday, November 4: Shahroz
- Wednesday, November 6: Steven
- Friday, November 8: Midterm #2
- Monday, November 11:
- Wednesday, November 13: Elle
- Friday, November 15: Catalina
- Monday, November 18: Amber
- Wednesday, November 20:
- Friday, November 22: Joseph Z.
- Monday, November 25: Liz
- Monday, December 2: Alvaro
- Wednesday, December 4:
- Friday, December 6: