- Becker, Marc. Twentieth Century Latin American Revolutions. New York: Roman & Littlefield Publishers, 2017. ISBN: 9781442265875 Call# F1414 .B43 2017
- Politzer, Patricia. Fear In Chile: Lives Under Pinochet. New York: New Press, 2011. ISBN: 978-1565846616 Call# HD8296.5 .P6513 2001
- Wasserman, Mark. The Mexican Revolution: A Brief History with Documents. Boston: Bedford/St. Martins, 2012. ISBN: 978-0312535049 Call# F1234 .W3773 2012
Accessing Course Materials:
There are several ways to access the required texts for this course:
- The required books are available for purchase at the College of Wooster bookstore or online.
- A copy of each required book is available on 2-hour/overnight reserve at the Andrews Library.
- Some course materials, including podcasts, audio slideshows, and digitized primary sources will be viewed by clicking the highlighted link in the syllabus. Read this guide for an explanation of how to connect to JStor and other restricted databases off campus.
- Articles and short book excerpts marked “arp” or “additional readings page” are available on a password-protected page in this website. Please print them out and bring them to class. Please remember to print double sided wherever possible.
Current News Media
All students are required to follow Latin America current events. In particular, students are encouraged to read The New York Times, the BBC World Service, The Guardian, and the Inter Press Service. These sites are available through our course website’s RSS feed. Students who can read Spanish or Portuguese are encouraged to read Latin American newspapers and compare the coverage in the United States and Latin America. For a list of links to Latin American newspaper sites, see http://lanic.utexas.edu/la/region/news/ or check our course site.
The complete schedule of class topics and readings is posted here.
Key to syllabus reading abbreviations:
|Becker||Twentieth Century Latin American Revolutions
|Politzer||Fear in Chile
||Fear in Chile|
|Wasserman||The Mexican Revolution